Inside The Pink Courtrooms
You may object that its not a trial at all, you are quite right for its only a trial if I recognise it as such. – Franz Kafka
- After Goa and Delhi, Telangana is the third state to have Children Friendly courtroom following the POCSO mandate to have dedicated courts to deal with the crimes against Children.
- Goa is the first state to establish such courtrooms realizing the effect of bewildering Court proceedings on the supple minds of Children.
- The architecture of these courts is more like a play school with walls painted pink, embellished with paintings, wooden backed chairs, stuffed toys in waiting rooms.
- Judges and lawyers do not have to follow any dress code, there is no black robed humanity screaming out for justice to be seen.
- Judge’s table is moved from dais to the floor to make it easy for Child who is the victim.
- Only judge can ask any question and a curtain separates the view of prosecutors questioning the accused.
- There is a provision of separate waiting room for children provided with toys, paint brushes, sweets & juices to ward off any queer feeling that might flit into their juvenile brains.
- Since its inception it has been a learning experience even for judges & lawyers to ensconce themselves in such puerile environment and dealing heinous crimes.
- As Goa has been dealing crimes against children in such pink courts since 2004 after the contemptible case of Freddie Peats other states are waking up in order to make such provisions with many substantial improvisations.
It’s a commendable move to make arrangement for the trials of the crimes that come under POCSO act as we don’t want to traumatize the unripe minds of children with Kafkaesque proceeding of trial rooms we would rather like to emancipate their thoughts with the stroke of ART.